When you get emotionally overwhelmed, the ‘thinking’ part of your brain actually switches off!! That’s why you just can’t think straight.
Use this really simple ‘mindfulness’ technique to switch it back on again!
1. Sit down somewhere and take deep breath
2. Focus on your feet/shoes for about 30 seconds
3. Look up and focus on something above you
4. Close your eyes
5. Concentrate on feeling your feet on the floor
6. Feel your bottom on the seat
7. Feel your clothes on your skin
8. Take 3 deep breaths.
Now, give your brain NEW INFORMATION. Think a thought that SERVES YOU rather than sabotages or tortures you. You’ve not only turned your brain back on, you’ve now had a new, more useful conversation with yourself.
If you’re interested in changing your reactions to the things that ‘trigger’ you emotionally (over and over again), go to www.emotionalsurvivalkit.com.au and purchase your very own Emotional Survival Kit.
Emotional Survival Kit